Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's been a while...

Okay, so I was going to start blogging everyday, but life sort of got in the way. Better late than never. I can still use "today is the first day of the rest of your life" can't I?

I stopped the Tamoxifen on Dec. 15 2007. Had a couple of good weeks. but that didn't last. So I decided to take myself off all other medications for a few weeks to see what that would do. Went off Amibien for sleep, Hyzaar for high blood pressure and Levothyroxin for thyroid. Also took a few weeks break from B12 injections. Needless to say no real changes for the good and needed to add them all back one at a time to keep conditions for which they were prescriped under control. I have 3 maintenance drugs that I will have to take the rest of my life. The Tamoxifen is up in the air. I will have been off of it for a little over three months when I see my oncologist in April. We are then going to test hormone levels to see if I have started menopause and can maybe change to another drug.

Have been having some really bad days lately. Since Tony has had two surgeries in the past month for cervical spinal stenosis, he has had to depend on me quite a bit and I feel really bad that I don't have the energy to help himout more than I do. We are both trudging along and feel very blessed for the health we have and for the healing that he is having. Many people have remembered us in their prayers and we are truly humbled by the number of cards, calls and well wishes we both have received.

Today was a beautiful day in Alabama. The sun was warm with a nice breeze. Tony sat on the front porch for about an hour. I spent the morning sorting through medical bills, calling to see why insurance didn't pay what. Fun stuff. Emotionally draining. Later I drove Tony into Madison to meet with a man there that they have a job with. I sat in the car while they reviewed what work that needed to be done. Tony's first day to be back at work for a few hours. I think it did him some good. Later, we met Tony's mom and dad at Cracker Barrel for lunch. It was Dorothy's birthday. That was fun.

Adam and Rachel are leaving tomorrow morning to go to Delaware for a week. Last minute details for the July 26th wedding. They are both getting very excited. They went to the court house today to apply for their marriage license.

Danielle worked today even though she is having trouble with a tooth, causing alot of pain. She has an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. May need a root canal.

Better get to bed as I have to be up at 4:00 in the morning to take Adam and Rachel to the airport.

3 comments:

Granny's Blog said...

Jackie, that was a good post! Way to go. I know it is hard to write when all you have to write about is sickness, but I want to know what's happening in your life. I take synthroid too. I was worried when you said you stopped your medicines. Don't do it without your Dr.'s advice, especially the cancer medicine. Synthroid, Abilify, Norpramin, Halcion, Arimidex and a few more is what I take regularly. I wouldn't be my happy self with out all the chemicals! I'm glad Tony was looking at a job. I think it is harder for a man to be at home than a woman. Now that you've got a good start, sit down each day and blog on what's happened that day. I'm looking forward to reading about your day and I always leave comments! Love you, Jan

the Villamor's said...

Sis. Allen!! It was good to "see" you on the web but so sad to read about your health problems! I am so sorry for you and Tony. I hope the road gets better for you in the future.

Did you have cancer? That's a bummer! Richard had lymphoma 5? years ago but he doesn't take any chemo drug on a regular basis. He did IV chemo treatments followed by radiation and has been fine so far. It always is in the back of his mind I think though especially when he starts having similiar pains!

So Adam is getting married? That is something to blog about;) It can be fun and like you I wanted to record my life....really my children's life because I was forgetting everything!

You were a fantastic YW leader! I posted a couple memories at granny's blog in the comments where I saw she mentioned you were out there somewhere! Trudy did too...remember those jean skirts for that skit for Youth conference?? ahhhhh....the memories....something to blog about! ha!

Love ya! Take care:)

Mary Kate
thevillamorfamily.blogspot.com

The Walker Family said...

It looks like you have a support team from the Layton family! It's so good to hear from you. I didn't know about all of you illnesses till mom told me recently. Seems like you are ready to kick'em in the rear and take back your life! Go Jackie! We will need to get together soon and catch up on the last 20 years! Hang in there and tell Tony I said hi!

do you mind me putting you on as a blogger friend?